Sunday, January 20, 2008

Why I am a teacher

I often asked myself the question, "Why am I a teacher?" this week after the hard days and wanting to crawl under my desk and cry! This week I have thought a lot about why I do what I do and why I love it so much.
Mrs. Holt, my 4th grade teacher, is the reason why I became a teacher. She was the one teacher I had that truly showed that she loved me (and the rest of my class) unconditionally. She knew how to have fun and be serious when needed. There was never a question as to whether she cared about us and I learned so much that year because I know she cared.
Often times I think about what kind of difference I want to make on my students and this is the exact impact I want to have on them. I want them to look at their 2nd grade year as a year of growth and fun and know that I loved them even through the rough days.
Mrs. Holt came and visited me and my classroom in December and it was one of the best times I have had! I love how we just picked up right where we left off and she was able to see me in action (and my kids in action :). It meant the world to me that she would want to come and visit. I respect and admire her in so many ways. She is one in a million!



2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Awh! My little teacher heart is warmed. Yay for teaching, despite the bad days. I'm glad you're finding the golden edge to your cloud or however that saying goes...

Anonymous said...

I'm a little behind on your posts, so just caught up on your rough week last week. I'm glad things are getting better; I so admire you for doing what you do. Your job requires more patience than most of us could muster--but our schools & students desperately deserve teachers like you!! Hang in there! -Your best freshman year roomie EVER :-)