Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mission Healthcare

Every other month, my students and I take a field trip to Mission Healthcare, a retirement community. Sometimes we will play bingo with the residents and other times we may do a craft with them. This month, we went with questions about history and their lifetimes and it was fascinating! The students asked questions like: how much did bread cost when you were my age? Where were you when MLK Jr. was shot? Who was president when you were born? The answers were very interesting. This would have to be my favorite trip there. We heard from a women who lived in France and escaped WWII by going to Italy. I just wanted to sit down with her and hear more of her story!

After all of my students asked their questions, we enjoyed some rootbeer floats together and then spent a few minutes chatting with the residents. Here are some pictures that capture the sweetness of this event.

Some of my boys greeting the residents.

Nicholas posing for the camera.

My students waiting anxiously to ask their questions.

So sweet.

1 comment:

Carol said...

What a great idea! I am sure the students are a huge blessing to the residents. I wish I would have thought of doing this when you were in my class :)