Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Humbled...

I have a myspace account simply for the purpose of keeping in touch of some of my favorite (oops...did I say that?) middle school students. I have loved keeping in touch with them and watch them as they start their high school lives hoping that what I taught them or who I was as their teacher affected them in some way. My biggest hope and prayer as a teacher is to make a positive impact on my students. I want to be a teacher that my students can look back on and remember as being someone who impacted their life.

Here is something that one of my old students wrote in her "heroes" section on her myspace page:

Ms. Amber Bobst: You taught me a lot more than just seventh grade math and eighth grade science. You inspired me to become someone so much greater than I would have ever wanted to be. I admire you so much more than anyone, and I can't wait until the kids you teach notice how lucky they are. (:

Wow. Cicely was a great student: sassy and lovable. Her middle school years were rough ones as she had run ins with drugs and dealt with her best friend getting into drugs. Cicely confided in me about this multiple times and I know God used those talks for His glory. I am just so humbled by what she wrote and this verifies the reason why I am a teacher...to make an impact on my student's lives, not through what I teach them but through who I am as a person and the influence I have on these precious lives.

No comments: