Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The last week of school

This week is just weird, there are so many mixed emotions. It is sad to think that I will most likely never see these kids ever again. There are so many students who have touched my life in such a powerful way and those are the ones that will be missed the most. So many students have been telling me this week how thankful theyh are for me and how much of a difference I have made in their lives. Some of these students statements are a surprise as some of them don't make their appreciation for me very evident sometimes. Then there are other students who love to make it known that I am not their favorite teacher.

I think what I have learned the most as a middle school teacher is the meaning of tough love. There are students who are stinkers and it is very evident that they could care less about me as a teacher and they are plain rude. But I still have to love them and that has been a challenge, I am not going to lie! I have learned a lot about grace and unconditional love these last two years. Middle schoolers need tough love and sometimes that has been so hard to give. Their is one student in particular that makes it known every day how much he hates me and it is so tempting to go off on him but I can't let my pride get in the way. He is entitled to his own opinion and my job is to respond in love, no matter how hard that might be.

God is good and I am thankful for these last two years at this school, no matter how hard and rough they have been. Through it all, I have learned a lot and I am thankful to have grown so much in so many ways.

3 more days to go until summer (not that I am counting or anything! :) )

No comments: